Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Moths

Most knitters shudder at the idea of moths. An infestation can make confetti out of your most beloved stash and finished objects. Kathy over at Irisheyes Knitting Blog wrote this lovely poem about moths, and it made me smile. The moth in her photo is really quite pretty, and I actually have a fondness for moths, maybe even more so than butterflies. My own green butterfly is based on the luna moth:



I find it kind of funny that someone whose spirit animal is a moth is also a knitter. But I think in my case it's ok because the larva only eat leaves and the adults don't actually have mouths! The poor things only live for a week, long enough to breed and spread a little beauty to the world. For a person who doesn't believe in death, only transcendence, this butterfly is the perfect metaphor for how I wish to live my life. It begins as a humble larva and through the power of metamorphosis it literally recreates itself into something new and beautiful before finally transcending to a new existence all together.

When I feel up to tackling some serious lace, I'm going to have a shot at this Limberlost Luna Moth shawl.

2 comments:

  1. That moth shawl is very pretty! Lace is not bad at all. I haven't done the hardcore lace where you make YOs on the wrong side of the fabric also. I do find I have to really concentrate on the lace pattern and count my stitches every right side row. I also like to use thicker yarn like worsted for lace patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ick...moths. Aimee Dog likes to eat them.

    ReplyDelete